Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Saturday 6 August 2011

The First Week done and dusted

Well well, week one complete.  It was with a mix of apprehension and excitement that I hopped in my bakkie and made my way to the posh gym.  My eldest trains there mostly and the idea was to meet up with him.  He's good for me as he doesn't let me slack off.  The gym was fairly full when I arrived at about 08h30 - and note this is a Saturday morning!  My first stop was that big machine that takes all your vitals.  I was dressed basically the same as last Saturday except I had on long pants today.  I log in and start the process.  Oh bless this machine, it is my friend today!  In my first week, I have destroyed 1.4kg - and yes, I say destroyed and not lost.  I did not randomly lose all those grams, I destroyed them - capiche?!  And yes, my body fat is even down... ok, so 0.01% - but hey it's still progress!  Wow, now I am super-amped.  Bring on that circuit baby - let me push some iron!

I skip over to the cardio section to go do a quick 10 minute warm up on the cross trainer job.  At one point it told me my heart rate was 173, but I think it must have had a bit of a short circuit or something as clearly my heart rate was no where close to that.  My Polar heart rate monitor has gone in for a new battery, but one gets to know ones heart rate.   Having broken a bit of sweat, I head off confidently to the weights section.  The first machine on my list was occupied, so I moved onto the next one.  The first few were all "leg work" and I found that I coped quite alright.  Once I got to the last rep, it was a bit of effort, but I felt alright.  Then I went onto the upper body stuff.  Oh my.  I've always said that I have no upper body strength - I'll kick someone to death, but nothing with the arms!  Well, I wanted to burst into fits of giggles, because picture the scene.... here is me with the weight on the shoulder press set to 10kg.  Opposite me there is a guy doing tricep stuff with a dumb bell that probably weighs about 30kg!!!  He grimaces slightly, while I feel I am going to pop a vein!!  I really battle to complete all the reps, but I do.  Ah so proud.  I managed to do everything and complete two sets at that.  There was only one thing that I could not complete the second set of and that was that darn shoulder press.  My arms would not go up anymore!  I did not beat myself up about it and promised myself that next time would be better.

I went off to the cardio section again to finish off with a quick 10 minute row.  The gym was so busy by that time that I actually had to wait for a rowing machine.  I must say that today the posh gym impressed me.  Maybe my first impression of a lot of barbies and ripped steroid filled okes was not all that accurate.  Today there was a great variety of people who all looked pretty serious about getting their dose of endorphins.

I skipped out of the gym with a song in my heart, already looking forward to the next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment