Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Sunday 7 December 2014

Magic in the fynbos....

So recently I was doing a little research about great getaways around the Western Cape - a place to celebrate a very special occasion, a place to completely chill and recharge the old batteries a little.  Yes, I know, it's a lot to ask if you're going away for only one night!  I stumbled upon a little piece of magic....Kol Kol Mountain Lodge in Botrivier.  They have an awesome website, but no picture in any of the galleries really does justice to what you find when you arrive there!  



You follow the signs to your cabin, a trek through beautiful mountainous fynbos on a rather rough road - hence their warning of "no low profile tyres".  I had booked in the Sugarbush Cabin and what an awesome cabin it is.  I was told that the key would be in the door when we got there as they have no reception or office as such.  We didn't interact with another human being while we were there except a great, big friendly smile from a chap coming down the hill in his bakkie.  I think he was responsible for ensuring that our Traveling Tub was heated for us when we arrived! 

 What greeted us beyond the front door was just magical.  A stone and wood cabin, spotlessly clean, cosy and beautiful. 



There is an indoor hearth, a kitchenette with everything you need - gas two plate hob, small oven, microwave, fridge - and then they even stock your kitchen with a bottle of delicious sparkling wine, two Ferero Rocher chocolates, butter, milk, bottled water, tea, Rooibos, sugar, coffee and 6 eggs.  There is washing up liquid too.  





The awesomeness continues around the partition where you find a beautiful, comfy bed with pure cotton sheets.  Around the next partition you find a stunning victorian bath with amazing upcycled taps, a basin on a log pedestal and a loo of course.  Luxury toilet paper as well as hand wash and hand cream are supplied too.
 The bath has a view over the fynbos - just stunning! 




There is a sliding door that leads from the living area onto a delightful wooden deck.  And it is here that you find the Traveling Tub!  Oh what an absolute delight.  It is heated by fire and it is pure bliss!  The perfect place to enjoy the sparkling wine and make a toast to a long and happy marriage! 
There is something truly magical about sitting in this hot tub, in total privacy, enjoying a glass of ice cold sparkling wine while admiring the vast expanse of fynbos stretching out in front of you.   




At the end of the deck there is an outdoor shower - again made from upcycled materials.  It was an awesome experience showering out in nature! 

So after a long soak in the tub, a braai fire was lit and some good old South African beef was braaied.  A delightful dinner was had - steak and salad, great wine, great company in an absolutely idyllic place.  


 
Coffee followed on the wooden deck...             
 What an amazing evening!  I slept like a log and awoke to a still warm Traveling Tub.  Sitting in the hot water on a chilly, overcast early morning - now that's the way to start your day!  I would recommend Kol Kol Mountain Lodge without hesitation and I can assure you, I will be back! The only negative thing I can say is that I wanted to stay for much longer!


 Visit the Kolkol website






No comments:

Post a Comment