Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Sunday 28 December 2014

One of my best finds of 2014....

Now you may or may not know, but I am a creative soul and I have a need to make things, write about things, paint things....well you get my drift!  

Builders Warehouse was having this huge promotion on paint products and I found something called Fired Earth chalk paint and soft wax.  Well it's been almost life-changing!  After visiting Kol Kol (www.kolkol.co.za) and getting loads of inspiration I made the decision that I will upcycle, recycle, reuse and make whatever it is I happen to want and need!  Add chalk paint into the mix, and you have it waxed!  Ok, that was a bit lame.... sorry!

The colour I chose - Chateau Moss - is a sort of khaki colour.  I absolutely love it but I am definitely going back for at least another two colours!  

There are a few things I love about this product:  It can be used on practically any surface and no real preparation is required, it is water soluble so no hassle cleaning the brushes, it is so easy to work with and dries quickly and you can get really creative with the effects using one or two coats, distressing the finish or not, waxing or not.  The waxing gives it a good seal and deepens the colour.  

I've had great fun and have already completed numerous projects, from metal tables, to clay items that I made, to restoring an imbuia table and a picture frame.  The imbuia table was my first project.  It was a broken table I'd had lying in storage for as long as I can remember.  I drilled out the broken off bits, put in a piece of dowel, gave the top a sanding as it was in quite bad condition, and then taped off what I didn't want to paint with narrow masking tape (R5 at the local chinese store!).  I gave the two shelves two coats, aged it a bit along the edges, and then waxed it.  I left it overnight and then buffed it up.  Not bad for a first project!  


Although it seems to be more popular to leave the top natural wood and paint the legs, because the legs were in a good condition, but the top was a little worse for wear, I decided to do it the other way around.  

Do yourself a favour, go and grab a tin of chalk paint and a tin of wax and have some fun.  Paint a few of your plant pots, or paint a few old glass bottles...really just go and have fun!  


No comments:

Post a Comment