Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Wednesday 24 December 2014

The Festive Season??

Each year I find myself saying the same thing.  I seem to threaten all and sundry, and in particular the very Universe itself, that I am going to save my annual leave, take all 20 working days over the "festive season" next year, rent a little cottage in the Karoo and spend the days in the plaasdam with a cold ale and the nights in front of a log fire indoors.  I will not have to communicate much with humans for four weeks!!!  Unfortunately next year is yet to come.  Now I'm sure some of you are making big rolling eyes and sighing and failing to comprehend why I don't just love this time of the year....I mean it IS the festive season. 

Let me attempt to present my case.  We live our lives by time....day by day, weekend to weekend, month by month and then during the last couple of months of the year...there is this buildup to the Festive Season.  By that stage of the year I am pretty exhausted from putting heart and soul into my job, family and life in general.  I'm not really in the right frame of mind to be all excited and energised.  Then there is the budget....now I am really proud to say that I work with a pretty tight budget...and survive!  However, although the children's education is paid, my home loan is paid and none of us go hungry, there just isn't enough in my budget for things like holidays and lots of gifts.  Then there is the pressure from society that everyone should be really excited and happy that Christmas is coming.  But that same society has created a commercial circus around Christmas.  What is Christmas again?  I know a lot of people who suffer from depression at this time of the year.  It's a really difficult time for a lot of people.  The pressure to be happy seems to accentuate their depression.  It's not cool!  

Oh then we have the Christmassy music in ALL the shops...starting sometime after July it seems!  As soon as the calendar strikes 1 December, people lose all sense of reason, manners, respect and fear when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle.  What's with that? And while we're asking questions, what's with all the food?  For what reason do people feel the need to consume quadruple the normal amount of food, feel awful afterwards and proceed to swear never to eat so much again in their lives.  I just find the whole time rather difficult to bear. 

A chap really annoyed me today.  This is a really nice guy who works at the hospital in the sanitation department.  I see him every day and he removes all our recycling and other waste from the offices each day. I went so far as to organise an awesome cake for him some time back.  However, in the last week he has cooked his goose/turkey so to speak.  He came to me last week and asked for a "Krismis boks".  Immediately I was highly annoyed.  You just don't ask for money.  It's just not right.  I sort of evaded the subject.  Today he was back again wishing us all a Merry Christmas.  I wished him back and then he asked me if he must now leave empty-handed.  I told him that the one boss had already give him extra and that I did not have anything to give him.  He threw a bit of attitude my way and said that's fine, he will just treat us next year, the way we've treated him now and he stormed off.  Well I was horrified. 

I ask you, is this the Festive Season?  Is this what Christmas is all about?  

That said, I have to say there are people I know who really celebrate the birth of Christ.  For them it's a deeply spiritual holiday and whatever they do is in His honour.  I have no problem with that.  To those of you to whom Christmas has true meaning, may I wish you a very merry one....and while I'm at it....may all of you enjoy good health, prosperity and happiness in 2015.  Can't wait to get my new year's groove on....it's going to be an epic year, and there is always the possibility of a Karoo holiday at the end of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment