Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Saturday 24 September 2011

Week 9 - and it's National Braai Day!

Riiiiggghhht, I'm setting here - a perfect day, the first summer's day we've had I think, and the braai fire is going outside, the sliding door is open, the radio's on playing the top 40 hits of the week and life is good.  Ok, admittedly, my mind is all zenned from the yoga class I did earlier... my body, well that's another story.  I feel like I've dislocated both hips, ripped my shoulders out of their sockets, my spine is still in shock at all the work IT had to do and I have persistent muscular aches in places I didn't know I had muscles!  At the end of the class when the boneless rubber lady instructor was leaving with her yoga mat rolled up under her skinny, rubber arm, she asked me if I'm new in her class.  I told her that I was in fact new to yoga and that this was a first for me in my 43 years.  Her eyes proceeded to enlarge quite frightenly and she exclaimed "OOOoooohhhh, well you did rather well with some of those poses".  Well lady I can tell you it will be a number of years before I can perform some of those contortionistic asanas.  Eish man!  


My son apologised profusely too!  He's been nagging me to try yoga, but he's been to a different teacher and a more beginnerish class!  No worries, hopefully I'll be able to remove myself from my bed tomorrow morning without any fatal injuries!  


This was not my only first for this week... when I went to my zumba class on Thursday after work, the instructor didn't pitch up, but the pilates teacher did.  She offered to give us zumbaholics a bit of a workout.  Well, I've always wanted to try pilates. I was quite mesmerized by the way the sweat droplets were flying off me as I jumped up on the step, lifted the dumb bells, and jumped down again.  An hour later, I felt like I'd done a round or two with Mike Tyson!  I went to her after the class and thanked her for giving us a workout and told her I'd always wanted to try pilates.  She was quick to tell me that that was no pilates but more like "pilates on steroids"!!  


On Friday I went for a "fitness test" - you know the one - you do a step test, then you do a flexibility test, push ups and sit ups and of course they measure your body fat with those caliper thingies, take your blood pressure and measure your waist.  I'm quite keen to get the results.  I do however need to redo the step test as the aunty that did the test clicked on the wrong button on the PC and lost it!  So I have to go next week. 


Well, I've read on numerous occasions that when one does exercise, it's better not to do the same thing over and over and over, but to mix it up a bit and keep the muscles guessing.  Well, I can tell you after these 9 weeks, my muscles are just staring blankly with their mouths hanging open as they sure as nuts don't know what's going to hit them next!! 


To end off, let's look at the stats:  after 9 weeks, 3kgs down and 4.6% body fat, many centimeters and one dress size down. Results don't come easy!!!  Happy braaiing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment