Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Week 8 - halfway to week 9 and Braai Day!


I really had to do a quick post this morning.  See I have a confession to make.  I know I was only supposed to get on that machine in a couple of weeks, but yesterday morning, at 05h00 when I walked past it at the gym, it just called my name and it looked so lonely.  Ok, ok, I'll stop talking nonsense!  I just couldn't resist anymore ok!  


So, I hop on the blasted thing without great expectations (although I do feel a little thinner)  and it tells me the following - since I last weighed, I've gained, yes, gained just over a kilogram, but get this... my body fat, over the last 8 weeks, has dropped by 4.6%.  I start smiling and I can't seem to stop!  I mean this is what it's all about - I'm not too phased by the weight measurement and I just know that that kilo I've gained is pure muscle, so I am now even more motivated to keep on doing what I'm doing!


I went on to have a fabulous workout with loads of other nutters who frequent the gym in the middle of the night as my husband puts it!  And believe me, it's really really difficult for me to get out of bed at 04h30 - especially when it's cold, windy and rainy - brush my teeth, tie the hair up, get dressed and get out of the door.  There is an evil voice in my head that runs this non-stop commentary of every excuse why I really don't have to go and that there is a lovely warm bed waiting... but once you've done it, your day is made.  You really can handle anything that comes your way. Wish I'd discovered this 20 years ago, although the young body is so forgiving, I don't suppose I would've been as motivated!


It may not be true for everyone, but for me, I have learned that protein is essential and also my mid morning and mid afternoon snacks.  I've not been too organised on the food front at work this week, and yesterday I did not have anything for an afternoon snack.  As I've been working out quite hard, I get hungry and it's essential to have the healthy stuff at hand.  What happened by the time I got home at six.... I promptly ate two pieces of toast and Marmite!  I don't even eat bread anymore!!!!  Anyway, I just had to remind myself of the 85/15 or the 80/20 rule or whichever one you follow - as long as I eat correctly 85% of the time - my body is not going to freak out and nor will anyone else!!  


On Friday afternoon I'm doing a "fitness test" where they assess your strength, flexibility and cardiovascular ability.  I'm quite excited to see where I fit in on the fitness front!


Get moving today people.... we're down to less than 100 days until the silly season with all its parties and beach time and all the skin exposure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment