Welcome!!

Right, so what started out back in 2011 having just joined the gym and found out that not only was I 20kg overweight, but that my body fat was disgustingly high, is evolving! This blog is a reflection of my journey to a state of better health, vastly improved self confidence and hopefully a far more energetic me! It is also a place where I can ramble on about whatever takes my fancy. I cannot promise to write well, but I do promise to be honest in my ramblings.

Sunday 5 October 2014

What is this romance thing they speak of?

So, I ask you, what is romance?  Is it a girly thing?  Is it something that only certain guys know of? Is it part of ones personality?  Perhaps it is something that is only required during those crazy days of new love...you know those days of butterflies in the tummy, shaky hands and silly smiles...the days before the "M" word....eish....marriage!! 

Now let me tell you that I am Gemini.  I'm telling you this as perhaps some sort of excuse as to why I have these two opposites in my personality.   There is that totally left-brained, logical part of me that says romance schmomance, and then there is that eccentric, creative side that is pathetically romantic.  I have always told people that my husband "isn't the romantic type"  and "I knew this before I married him" and various other excuses!  I've always been the one to organise surprise nights away - which believe me takes a lot of effort when you have two small kids and a full time job - dinner dates, weekends away, special anniversary dates, birthday surprises, etc, etc.  I eventually got to a point where I just didn't really do this anymore.  I figured that if it was okay for him to be an "unromantic" then it was okay for me too.  





After 25.5 years of marriage, I suggested that perhaps we should turn this wheel and go back to the beginning and start dating again.  Well, I was so pleasantly surprised!  I've been taken on dates, and I've even had a beautiful red rose delivered to me at work.  When I explained to a friend that this was huge because my husband was "not a romantic", he said that that was utter nonsense.  He said that being a romantic is simply a matter of choice.  It's choosing to put in some effort and reaping the rewards of course!  Well, that just inspired me to write this blog entry because that is truly what being romantic is....it's a conscious choice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment